The most important type of pest is the commodity feeder. This type of pest feeds directly on commodities and can be divided into:
Primary pests: those that infest intact commodities.
Secondary pests: these require the commodity to be damaged before they can infest it. Secondary pests dominate in milled products such as flour, and in processed and manufactured food products.
Each pest requires a different level of ‘damage’ before it can survive on a commodity. For some species this level is minimal, but for others it may be substantial. Commodities accumulate damage from harvesting, handling, pest infestations and processing, all of which increase the risk of infestation from secondary pests.
Below the most prevalent commodity feeders are listed, including common and scientific name. EcO2 has specialist knowledge regarding these insects and the suitable treatments to be performed in terms of O2 level, temperature, treatment time and so on.
- lmond moth (Cadra cautella)
- Australian spider beetle (Ptinus tectus)
- Bean beetle (Acanthoscelides obtectus)
- Cigarette beetle (Lasioderma serricorne)
- Drugstore beetle (Stegobium paniceum)
- Broad horned flour beetle (Gnatocerus cornutus)
- Coffee bean beetle (Areacerus fasciculatus)
- Confused flour beetle (Tribolium confusum)
- Fruit fly or vinegar fly (Drosophilidae)
- Flat grain beetle (Cryptolestes spp.)
- Flour mite (Acarus siro L.)
- Grain weevil (Sitophilus granarius)
- Indian meal moth (Plodia Interpunctella)
- Khapra beetle (Trogoderma granarium)
- Larger grain borer (Prostephanus truncatus)
- Lesser grain borer (Rhyzopertha dominica)
- Maize weevil (Sitophilus zeamais)
- Mealworm beelte (Tenebrio molitor)
- Mediterranean flour moth (Ephestia kuehniella)
- Mercant beetle (Oryzaephilus mercator)
- Mites (Astigmata)
- Rice weevil (Sitophilus oryzae)
- Rust red flour beetle (Tribolium castaneum)
- Sawtoothed grain beetle (Oryzaephilus surinamensis)
- Spider beetle (Ptinus fur L.)
- Tobacco moth (Ephestia elutella)
- Tropical warehouse moth (Ephestia cautella)
- Warehouse beetle (Trogoderma variabile)